November 2020

Where the Crawdads Sing – Delia Owens

Pages Read: 368/368

✮✮✮✮☆ 

This story is set in Barkley Cove, North Carolina where 7-year-old Kya is abandoned by her family member and left by herself in the small hut hidden in the depths of the marshes, the place she calls home. Known as “Marsh Girl” she learns to fend for herself for years and before she knows it, she’s grown up. Kya has been introduced to a new world through her love interests and has become a prime suspect in a murder case.

Favorite Quotes:

“She laughed for his sake, something she’d never done. Giving away another piece of herself just to have someone else.”

“Kya laid her hand upon the breathing, wet earth, and the marsh became her mother.”

“time is no more fixed than the stars. Time speeds and bends around planets and suns, is different in the mountains than in the valleys, and is part of the same fabric as space, which curves and swells as does the sea.”

Comments:

Where the Crawdads Sing was a highly recommended novel that I had thought about checking out. I’m glad I got to venture out of my usual reading genres and experience something a little different that still satisfied me – This novel seemed like a mix of a bunch of genres in some ways and I loved that aspect of it: historical fiction – something I have been meaning to get more into, mystery, drama, and romance (also love that combination). Kya’s story basically ripped my heart out and I’m going to remember it for a really long time. The marvelous descriptions of the setting and the journey of Kya growing up really drew me in, but I felt like the shift from Kya to the sheriff disrupted the overall flow of the novel and impacted my focus.

Reflection:

Total # of Pages Read: 368 Total # of Pages Read Everyday (368/30 days) : 12

I wasn’t able to continue being consistent with my reading habits compared to last month with everything going on in my life and found that it was hard to get through the novel. I hope I will be able to take it easy and ensure that I spend some time during my day reading effectively without other distractions.

images:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36809135-where-the-crawdads-sing